Saturday 28 November 2015

Metabolic Balance diet: day 10

Day 10 on the diet and my second weekend, which I was approaching with a certain apprehension as today's plan was to meet up with some friends (German again, can you spot a theme?) and go to the Christmas market in Exeter.

It has become a bit of a tradition that each year we go there with the kids, chat and drink mulled wine.
Mulled wine that this year I wasn't going to be able to have...

Was it going to be the same without the warmth and spice of the mulled wine? Was I going to be miserable and cranky? Was I also going to be super hungry and tempted among all that christmassy food, the French stalls with the delicacies from home, the crepes etc.

So, like a good girl, I prepared my lunch last night and brought it with me in case it might become all too unbearable and I braced myself for the cravings.

Our friends arrived a bit late, not actually really late but 15 mins standing in the cold wind is enough to freeze me all over. So I was cold and dreading the "want some?" - I'm getting a bit bored about telling friends I'm on a diet but explaining to them when they look at me in shock that, no it's not to lose weight but for the greater good.

The men almost immediately decided they "needed" a sausage - it was 11am!! That I wasn't tempted by and actually was grateful to finally be sheltered somewhere vaguely warm. Then we walked through the market and all the smells were pleasant but I didn't feel a particular the urge to eat anything - it looked good but you know what, it'll still be there when I'm finished with the diet and next year too, so no big deal.

Then mulled wine time arrived and it was fine, my friends being my friends didn't insist "go on, just a small one; it won't matter". They had some, I didn't and that was that. I often warn people of friends who, consciously or not, try to sabotage your diet. Women are particularly good at that it seems and I wonder if because it is somewhat threatening in our society to see someone taking control of their life, does that expose your own lack of control?

So all was well apart that I got uber cold and that had to crank up the heating in the car all the way back home to regain the feel of my fingers and toes.

I ate my salad at home, as it was the right time and didn't particularly want to rush it in the car before leaving Exeter with my tired 3 year old nattering at me. The salad was good, surprisingly I'm not missing the fat that much, and the coffee after even better - at last something warm!

Tomorrow is Sunday and I'm aware that keeping busy is going to be the key: if you're on a diet, being bored and wondering into the kitchen can mess with your head and make you confuse boredom and habit for actual hunger.. so pay attention folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment