Monday 30 November 2015

Metabolic Balance diet: day 12

I had a brilliant day today.

I woke up pretty early but also totally refreshed so I made the most of this time to do some Christmas shopping online and I managed to get all of my husband's presents plus lots of bits and pieces for the family; I'm officially almost done with my Christmas shopping! Smug.

Going back to my sleep pattern, I've noticed that I'm a lot less tired than I used to and I generally don't seem to need quite as much sleep. I go to bed at the same time, sleep really well and either wake up before my alarm or when my alarm goes but, either way I'm always ready to go and face the day. I've always been a good sleeper but you'd think that you'd be tired on a diet and that you would yearn for your bed. But no, I've got lots of energy and I'm getting tons done during the day - hence why this year's Christmas is pretty much sorted. Still smug.

No cravings at all, today I felt brilliant, everything seemed to fall into place: the food was good, nutritious, filling enough and warm.

I had my usual breakfast and turned my egg salad into scrambled eggs with vegetables, accompanied by some lovely rye bread my husband got me from Waitrose - Schneider Brot, made in Germany so the real deal of rye bread.

I got a bit hungry before lunch but isn't that the point? I always tell my clients that if they're not hungry before a meal it's because they have eaten too much at the previous meal. Hunger is defined by the Oxford Dictionary as "a feeling of discomfort or weakness caused by lack of food, coupled with the desire to eat". 

I don't totally agree with "coupled with the desire to eat", as you can be hungry and really not want to eat, when you're ill for example and that you haven't eaten for a long time. But my point is that if hunger is caused by lack of food, if you're not "hungry" before a meal then you should not be eating. I often get people telling me they snack when they get home/ when they're preparing their meal "to get the edge off", but that's missing the point of hunger: if you eat as soon as you feel a twinge of hunger, automatically you won't really be hungry by the time your dinner is ready and so, by definition, you shouldn't be eating. Can you see that our snacking culture is messing with our body's cues and our metabolism? Allow yourself to be hungry, don't fear it, you're not going to die. Embrace hunger, it's a very normal physiological response. It doesn't mean you need to starve yourself and fast but it means you need to learn not to constantly eat between meals, there's no need, it'll only mess with you metabolism. Fast between meals is my new motto.

I think we need to stop being so bloody humans really, only we disregard our body's cues and eat not because we're hungry but because we're sad, happy, bored, angry etc. Animals don't do that, I mean wild animals. When a lion is hungry it'll hunt a gazelle, run to catch it, eat it until satiated, sleep and do it all again next time. A lion doesn't go nibbling on a gazelle because it's bored and that's why you'll never see an obese lion in the wild.





No comments:

Post a Comment