Sunday 29 November 2015

Metabolic Balance diet: day 11

Today was by far the hardest. Apparently, it's quite common mid way into the second week, the equivalent of the marital 7 year glitch, but I didn't see it coming.

With hindsight it's not surprising, I almost told you yesterday that it was going to be hard, I committed the fatal mistake of being negative and concentrating on the hurdles I was going to have to jump over instead of thinking of the finishing line. The irony is that I've warned my clients of this many times: don't focalise on the short term sacrifices but on the long term gain. Don't tell yourself it's going to be hard, dreadful, boring, bland etc., if you're tell yourself this is going to be the outcome, the outcome is likely to be this. Set yourself up for success not failure.

So in my head in went a bit like thing: another sunday of having to weigh my food and not sharing breakfast with everyone, boohoo, another tuna salad, boohoo, I really want some nuts, boohoo! Poor me! Part of me wanted to tantrum and tell everyone it wasn't fair, not fair at all!

When I finally managed to turn those whingy feelings into some rational thoughts, I did ask myself why today was really so hard, apart from the fact that I had told myself it would be. After all it's not that I was hungry, it's not that I didn't enjoy the food, I wasn't tired and on top of that I can feel that my trousers are getting looser so surely this should be a good incentive. So what the hell was wrong with me?!!

And then as lunch approached I realised what was wrong: I was cold.

I was cold and the prospect of a cold salad (not just a cold meal but a meal, most of the ingredients of which would be coming from the fridge) made me want to scream, run and burry myself in a baked potato.

I'm always cold, especially in the winter months but the diet is making me even colder and I'm finding this hard. I guess it's to be expected, I'm losing fat and fat is very good insulation - just think penguins. I guess it would have been easier in the summer but that's a bit late now, I'm almost done and I'm not going to cheat - if you do, you have to start all over again so keep that thought.

So what I've decided instead is to accept my weaknesses (when I'm cold, I would do anything to warm up again) and work around it. I think for the few remaining days, it's really important that all my meals are hot, no more salads. I'm still going to lose insulation/fat but a warm meal 3 times a day will really help to avoid being freezing, wanting to throw the towel in and feeling sorry for myself.

We all have weaknesses but the key is to identify them and find a way to bypass them - it's bit like a wave, if you're in the water and see a big wave coming, swim towards it and you might get a chance to avoid it, if you swim away you can be sure it'll crash in your face.

What's your weakness?

No comments:

Post a Comment