Sunday 22 November 2015

Metabolic Balance diet: day 4

Today's breakfast was porridge made with just oats and almond milk. Although I don't normally have any sugar or honey I would add a mashed banana to porridge to sweetened it a bit, so I was approaching this breakfast with a pinch of skepticism (that's allowed...).

To my surprise it was perfectly fine and actually quite sweet, it's funny how when you remove sweetness entirely you get to discover the real sweetness of food. Of course porridge on its own is sweet, it's a bowl of starch! Starch is a molecule that plants make in order to store sugar and it's made of long chains of glucose. Try it at home and chew some bread for a bit, instead of gobbling it like most of us do, and you'll start tasting a certain sweetness: that's glucose that results from the starch molecules having been broken down into pieces by the enzyme amylase.

So breakfast was good, even though I was drooling a bit when I handed hot buttered bagels to the kids. A nutritionist who admits to liking bagels?! Shock horror! I'm sure I'll go to nutritionist hell for that but hey ho, I'll probably end up in hell anyway. The only thing about this breakfast is that it crucially lacked protein for my liking, hence why I don't tend to have porridge for breakfast, so by midday I was pretty hungry.

Lunch at our friends' was lovely, despite me lonely eating my soup while the others tucked into tarragon chicken and chocolate cloud cake, courtesy of Nigella. It just made me realise how much of our social life revolves around food and that actually the food should be secondary to the event, not the event itself. Today was great, not because of the soup, not even inspire of the soup, it was great because I got to spend some time with lovely people, because I got to laugh and rest and because all of that gave me a real sense of fulfilment. Friendship, family and love can also be very nourishing.

I wonder: how much of the overeating we do is linked to a sense of emptiness brought on by our hectic lifestyle?


No comments:

Post a Comment